Global Change System for Analysis, Research, and Training
Human activities are inducing environmental change ranging in scale from earth-wide to local. The challenge to address such change is greatest in developing regions, which are the most vulnerable to environmental changes, but lack scientific knowledge and technology to conduct regional and local research and to inform and influence decision-makers. START, the ESSP sponsored global change SysTem for Analysis, Research, and Training provides an international framework for such capacity building.
START’s mission is:
- To develop regional networks of collaboration scientists and institutions in order to:
- conduct research on regional aspects of global change;
- assess the causes and impacts of regional global change; and
- provide relevant information to policy makers and governments to assist in formulating adaptation strategies.
- To enhance scientific capacity in developing countries by strengthening and connecting existing institutions, by training global change scientists and by providing them with improved enhanced access to data, communication technology, and research skills.
- To mobilize the resources required to augment existing global change scientific capabilities, infrastructure, and activities in developing countries.
International START Secretariat
2000 Florida Avenue, N.W. – Suite 200
Washington, DC 20009
Phone: +1 202 462 2213
Fax: +1 202 457-5859